Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wildtree with Amanda- Review

This past week I had the pleasure of testing out a product from a line that's new to me- Wildtree! Wildtree products are all natural; peanut free, msg free, additive free and dye free. That is very important to me- I try not to serve products to my children if they do not meet that criteria! Amanda from Wildtree kindly sent me a box of their focaccia mix and the Whole Wheat Pizza Dough.


In our quest for healthier eating, we tend to lean towards the whole wheat options when available. However, sometimes I'm a little disappointed in the taste. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised! But let's start from the beginning so you can see just how easy this was to make. 

 Additional ingredients needed aside from one bag of mix: 1/2 cup very warm water and 1 tablespoon of Wildtree Grapeseed Oil.

I didn't have any Grapeseed Oil on hand so I used olive oil. Gave it a slightly different flavor I imagine. Grapeseed Oil is healthier, has a higher smoking point and is excellent for frying things.
 After getting your oven rack in place, pizza stone* ready and heating up, you mix all of the ingredients together in the bowl until a ball is formed. It doesn't look like much, but it is plenty!

*You can use a pizza pan or baking sheet. You would just  shape the dough on the pan and bake it a little longer.
Put the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for 2 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Cover with a light towel and let rest for 10 minutes.

Then the fun part- shaping the dough! As you can see, I need a little practice.( This one is more round than my previous attempts at least!) 
When it is all pressed out to the proper size, you'll carefully lift it to a peel or board. I put it right onto the heated stone and let it bake a few minutes.

After 3 minutes I pulled it out and added my toppings. Fresh mozzarella, sliced fresh tomato, chopped mushrooms and cilantro. Then into the oven again for the remainder of the cooking time while the house smells delicious!

The result?

Easy and YUM. Echoed by my mom, my kids, my husband and myself.



The crust was so easy to make and very good. It was a light tasting wheat, not too heavy or dense. Just a perfect, chewy texture with a great flavor. I'm so glad I have another bag of mix to make for my family this week!

Many thanks to Amanda for introducing me to Wildtree- I can't wait to try more of their products and definitely recommend you try them, too. You can browse and order HERE. Also, you can hook up with Amanda on facebook!
 
Blog designed by PIP Designs