Sunday, April 5, 2009

Side note: Car Seat safety for infants and up

About a year ago in one of my cloth diapering forums, I came across a very heated conversation on extended rearfacing. 'What the heck is extended rearfacing? Toddlers stay rearfacing in their carseats? That is so weird and has to be uncomfortable!' But seeing how passionate(read: crazy) these pro-e.rearfacing people were got me curious. And you can see where this is going. I googled and researched and talked to hubby and thought and thought and read and read until I realized, it actually made a lot of sense. Hubby was rather resistant as he thought she would be uncomfortable when her legs got long. I requested he research it before coming to a decision. Aside from reading some of the things I sent him, he never did, so that settled it. At first he negotiated to 18months. Here we are, a few days away from the number 2 mark and guess what? We are still rearfacing and will be until she maxes out her seat's limits. Fitting then, the AAP finally updated their own recommendations: http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a?rss=1
So now I rest assured it is not just a crazy cloth diaper hippie thing, we were just ahead of the game.
Car Seat safety doesn't end at 2 or the convertible seat's max limits, either. Check out the Kyle David Miller Foundation: http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.html on why children are safest in 5pt harnesses. Boosters should not be used until children are on average 7 years old. Don't believe me? Do the research. Watch the videos of the children whos' lives could have been saved by simple knowledge. I know a 5pt harness that fits older children doesn't come as cheap as a 15$ booster. The obvious question is, just how much is your child worth to you?

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs