Tuesday, November 13, 2012

For the Love of Mothers


I've been thinking a lot lately about self image. And I've posted some about it before, but never could quite get what I wanted to say out. And then today a friend linked to this post over at Offbeatmama.

She really said it all so much more beautifully than I ever did or could. The only thing I want to add, is how I arrived at the conclusion that I am, in fact, beautiful. Not just saying it for my children's sake.

My grandma, perhaps the original Crazy Green Mommy.


I've always thought my oldest beautiful. But never thought she looked much like me; I can see so much of her father's family in her. She has a lot of cousins on his side and one older one in particular looks like the dark haired, dark eyed version of my daughter. A perfect counter just like their dads! (Her dad is dark and my husband is fair) For my birthday this year I dressed up in a party dress with my oldest just for fun. We snapped a cheesey phone picture that I posted on my personal facebook page. So many people remarked that she looked just like me- so I looked closer. And you know what? She does! She looks just like me.

The cheesey birthday picture.

So that, my friends, is how I came to accept the fact that I am truly beautiful. It's only logical! If my children are, and a piece of me, then I must be, too. And like Amanda said in the linked post, it's something we need to model for our children. Not just in beauty of course. They will imitate what we show them. I was reminded of this just the other day after putting on a new to me dress and asking my husband how I looked. My daughter later asked the same of her outfit, imitating me right down to the way I'd slightly put my foot out.

I am beautiful. I am smart. I am capable. I am kind. I am lovable.

And so are you.

- Stacy

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs