Friday, February 3, 2012

Here chick, chick, chick!

Well, so much for blogging about the ladies as they grew from chick to hen! I've got some pictures at least saved up to share that I hope you'll enjoy!

Cheep cheep! The day we got them(in the mail)


Daddy helping her hold one.

I'm not sure who was more excited, the kids or dad!

Starting the coop/run. Using pallet wood.

Yay for walls!

Whoop! No chicken for dinner 'cause the ladies are out of the house!

The 'flock'
It's really been fun learning as we go. It took us a long time, lots of thinking, reading, etc to feel ready to make the jump. And now I get where people say it's a lot easier than one would think! Chickens don't take a lot of time to care for. They are pretty resilient(I think). We actually are in our second week now of eggs! At 5 months plus one week exactly, we got our first egg from one of the Easter Eggers.

Pretty blue!

And by the end of one full week, we had a total of 21 eggs! Lost one due to it cracking in the coop and another was shell-less. That shell-less one was pretty interesting. Totally intact, just... jelly like?

Our first week's 'catch'!
Now we're getting about 4 eggs a day. So about 2 dozen, which is exactly what I'd figured. I'm really looking forward to being able to give some away to neighbors, friends and family. It's strange and fun to have a steady stream of eggs in my own backyard! If you've been on the fence about it, I say jump in!

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs