Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup (recipe)


I recently tried fennel bulb for the first time, thanks to my new-found love of our local food cooperative. But I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it! Enter- as always- my friend, Google.

Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup with GF millet garlic toast and grapes.

This is a very easy recipe, inexpensive and easy to freeze leftovers for a future meal. There are a few things I changed for one reason or another. For one, I chose to roast the onion with everything else. Why? One less thing to dirty(and have to wash)! I toasted the fennel in the cast iron dutch oven I planned on putting everything into, also in an effort to save a dirty dish. Then, being out of tomato paste, simply added a small can of tomato sauce. We don't use vegetable stock, and substituted 4 cups homemade chicken stock. As the author indicated in her update, we also used our stand blender and did it in batches.

What I may do differently in the future: I'd like to try it without the tomato sauce/paste. Not that it was bad, but feel the carrot and fennel may have been tempered by it.

Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with roasted vegetables. My almost 3 year old really enjoyed this soup. And being as he's my picky eater right now, I'd say that's a glowing review in and of itself.

May your soup be warm and your home, warmer.

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs