Friday, October 19, 2012

Rooster, you reprobate!



The first twenty minutes or so of my morning usually goes something like this: after rolling out of bed in the wee hours of the morn, putting a kettle on and sitting down to my email, I soak in the remaining silence.

But it hasn't been so silent here of late. Enter, Rooster. Cock-a-doodle-doo!

(Apologies for blurry picture, he's a mover and a shaker)


Rooster is our apparently male Silkie. After 8 months I thought we lucked out and had all hens! Out of 9 chickens that we've had, he is the first rooster. Which really is pretty good. But we have a noise ordinance. And I'm a little nervous my neighbors may not be so swayed by his ridiculously cute fluff and strut. I've no plans to eat him. Truthfully I probably could the others, but they seem less individual to me I guess than my silly Rooster. I've tried not to get too attached! But... the fluff! The other day I came out on the patio only to startle a hawk that was sitting on the chain link fence a mere 5 feet from my ranging hens. I *think* Rooster kept her at bay and protected the girls. Even if only because the hawk couldn't figure out just what he was(haha). So as far as I'm concerned, unless someone complains, he's earned his keep.

We also are finally getting some fun eggs from the other 2 pullets- our Black Copper Maran and Olive Egger. I think the speckled one in front is from the BCM and the two in back are the OE. It'll be so fun to have mixed colors! How's that for a natural, organic Easter basket?


Reprobate- An unprincipled person(often used humorously or affectionately)
*Quote from 'Annie'

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs