Friday, December 17, 2010

Stacy's Brazilian Soup recipe

I know, another recipe this week! But I made this today and had to share it- I forgot how good it was(at least, I think so). This is a very versatile soup. The idea is to use what you have on hand, which means different things to different people. I garden, so I have corn, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc. either fresh, frozen or canned in jars. Basically, give it a tomato base, throw in some veggies and beans, add a grain and spices. Easy!


Stacy's Brazilian Soup

8cu water
1 can black beans drained/rinsed
1 can pinto beans drained/rinsed
3-4 med. tomatoes chopped to desired size- a couple quarts of canned tomatoes work, too
1 medium onion white or yellow chopped
3 green onions diced
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 bell pepper whatever size and color
1 pint corn
2-3 cu chopped zucchini
1 cu leftover cooked rice from an earlier meal(or quinoa!)
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp chili powder(used Penzey's medium hot, yum!)
1/2 tsp cumin ground or seed
salt and pepper to taste(sppose I ended up doing 1/2 tsp each)
1 tbsp lemon, lime or orange juice

*served with
tortilla chips
shredded cheddar cheese
avocado
mango
oranges

Pretty much threw it all in the stock pot, save for the already cooked rice and green onions which I did the last 10 or so. Let it boil/simmer for 45min til it cooked down some. Then let each person add cheese and chips. The new thing for us? I put chunked avocado, mango and oranges on top of each person's served bowl. Sounds weird, was totally delicious. This makes quite a bit. Pretty much you can take the base and do whatever you want with it, I imagine. A side note, this was so filling I have no idea what else you'd eat with it or why you'd even want to try!

1 comments:

Bao said...

Wow, I actually have all those ingredients! Thanks for this recipe!

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs