Monday, March 21, 2011

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry recipe

Not sure how I found this one amidst all of the recipes out there, but so glad I did! It is such a unique mix of ingredients(in my opinion) and you just can't go wrong with curry!

Sweet Potato Chicken Curry


Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  curry powder
  • 1  teaspoon  ground coriander
  • 1  teaspoon  ground turmeric
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  black pepper
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground red pepper
  • 1  bay leaf
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1 1/2  pounds  skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2  cups  vertically sliced onion
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 1  (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1  (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2  cups  (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
  • 3/4  cup  canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2  cup  frozen green peas
  • 1  tablespoon  fresh lemon juice


For the rest go HERE

The big change I made due to reviewers' recommendations was to switch out the chicken stock for a can of light coconut milk. Yum! Didn't have coriander on hand so used a teaspoon of Rogan Josh from Penzey's Spices instead. Also no fresh ginger, just used a little ground. Then in the end I forgot the peas and lemon juice due to the chaos of unexpected guests(ha!). Still was pretty tasty. Might up some of the spices next time as I really, really love Indian spices. But for the kids' sakes I kept to the recipe this time until I knew how they'd come through. In another curry recipe it calls for a rotisserie chicken, bet that would be delicious in this one, too! (Served with basmati rice, wished we had naan and a mango!)

Happy eating!

2 comments:

Kristina Clemens said...

this is such a good dish! My momma taught me to make something very similar (no mangos) and my family, even the kiddos, just love it! Yummy....=)
Kristina J.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely trying this. I have some serious inflammation going on and so many ingredients in this recipe are good for that. THANKS!

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs