Wednesday, February 16, 2011

North Indian-Style Spinach Chicken recipe

This. Is. Delicious. Read on for the slight adjustments I made that rendered it very easy!
And yes, I like a little rice with my cilantro.



North Indian-Style Spinach Chicken


Prep Time: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 3  tablespoons  canola oil
  • 1/2  teaspoon  fenugreek seeds
  • 1/2  teaspoon  turmeric
  • 1/2  teaspoon  cayenne
  • 1  large onion, chopped
  • 8  ounces  cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
  • 2-in. piece fresh ginger
  • 4  large garlic cloves
  • 2  teaspoons  each ground coriander and cumin
  • 2  teaspoons  kosher salt
  • 1 1/2  pounds  boned, skinned chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. chunks
  • 1  cup  diced canned tomatoes
  • 1  pound  baby spinach
  • 1/2  bunch cilantro
  • 1  tablespoon  fresh lemon juice

Preparation

1. In a 6- to 8-qt. pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fenugreek seeds; sizzle 2 seconds, then stir in onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, mince ginger and garlic.
2. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and salt to pot; sizzle a few seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes, or until no longer pink on the outside. Add tomatoes and simmer, covered, 8 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach and simmer, covered, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, chop enough cilantro leaves and tender stems to yield 1 cup. Stir into pot, along with lemon juice. Serve with cooked rice.
** I made a few adjustments by necessity and error. For one, I couldn't find fenugreek seed at my local store. Skipped it entirely. Secondly, I grabbed a pack of chicken legs in error. So we baked them in the oven and just served them aside the vegetables and rice. Still good! Possibly an easier option if you dislike cutting raw meat as much as I do. Skipped the tumeric and sub'd curry- 2 teaspoons. Used maybe 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper(for the littles, can't be too hot) and 1 teaspoon ground ginger since I didn't have fresh. Oh yeah and fresh lemon juice? I just used the bottled kind. *gasp of horror* Does anyone really keep fresh lemons around all the time? The only other thing that may have made a difference was the diced tomatoes; I used a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes.
Serve with basmati rice(don't short change flavor with plain white rice!) and fruit. We had oranges, mangoes would also be delicious. Double it if you want leftovers. I wish I had!

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by PIP Designs